Product Development Designer
About The Role
We are looking for a Product Development Designer to join our team. This role requires a business driver with market awareness, critical thinking abilities and a passion for design and innovative products; the ability to come up with and collaboratively develop new and unique products that are commercially successful for UncommonGoods.
This position reports to the Director of Business & Product Development.
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit, are creative, imaginative and will generate ideas for new, original products that will be commercially successful.
- You come with a strong understanding of who we are as a brand, specialty merchandise and the products we sell.
- You have experience in and are enthusiastic about product development design and production.
- You have a “can-do” attitude and bring a pro-active problem-solving approach to developments throughout the process.
- You have the critical thinking abilities to successfully manage and develop multiple products across different product categories: from concept development through finalizing design and production.
- Your values and standards are aligned with our business and people culture.
- You embrace being in a lean, collaborative team environment and are motivated by continuous improvement and learning.
- Initiate as well as manage the design development for an agreed-on number of new products that we produce and are commercially successful.
- Collaborate with the PD and merchant teams throughout all stages of a product development; from concept mockups through design refinement, product samples and production specs.
- Facilitate new ideas and business development initiatives by understanding our assortment and opportunities, as well as ongoing design and market research.
- Assist design outreach efforts by creating design briefs and managing outside designers during the development process.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years experience in product design and development
- Graphic and product design capabilities: Fluency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, CAD and 3D printing
- Self-starter, curiosity seeker; able to work collaboratively and independently while managing multiple projects to meet tight deadlines
- Strong communication and relationship management skills
Benefits & Company Perks
- Significant product responsibilities, with a meaningful opportunity for personal development and grow into a leadership role.
- A casual work environment for an exciting, meaningful business.
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
To apply, please submit:
- Cover letter
- An example of how you applied critical thinking skills for a successful product development
ABOUT THE JOB
Our Product Development team is dedicated to coming up with brand new uncommon creations that will delight our customers. The people who manage the process—from idea to research to reality—are our Production Managers: They work both internally and with outside vendors to ensure no detail is left unaddressed, so that every product we make exceeds our customers’ expectations.
Here’s more about our team: http://blog.uncommongoods.com/2016/inside-the-designers-studio-with-uncommongoods-product-development-team/
You know the importance of collaboration and enjoy it, but you’re also confident sharing your own ideas and taking initiative. You love figuring out solutions to challenges, and are always asking, “What if?” and “Why not?”. You enjoy discovering new places and experiences—it often leads to inspiration and new ideas. Even on vacation, you can’t help taking pictures of cool, innovative designs—then poring over how to make them even better.
- Develop and source direct-manufactured products that meet our unique requirements
- Manage projects from start to finish, including communication and troubleshooting
- Discover ways to expand our manufacturing capabilities and vendor sourcing
- Negotiate costs and keep detailed records
- Provide weekly, monthly, and quarterly analysis
- Work with our purchasing team to ensure we correctly meet inventory needs
- Monitor our product quality and refine our manufacturing best practices
- Ensure Uncommon Collection vendors comply with social and environmental requirements
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong negotiation skills
- Creative, entrepreneurial problem solver
- Ability to multi-task and work independently
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- An eye for design and process
- Strong Excel, data collection, and analysis skills
- Understands and implements product safety and sustainability requirements, including materials and packaging
- 1-2 years’ relevant work experience
- An interest in unique and innovative product design and sustainability
- Robust benefits package, including generous PTO, 401(k) with company match, and paid family leave
- Stock options
- Casual work atmosphere
- 40% discount on our products
- Monthly company snacks, lunches, and team events
To apply, please submit the following to Peanut M&M:
- Cover letter